November 15th, 2009
The Washburn Public Library which proudly stands
at 32 Union Street, East Bridgewater, MA, was erected in 1896 through
the generosity of Cyrus Washburn. Mr.Washburn was a native of the town
before residing in Wellesley,MA. On July 18,1894,ten thousand dollars
in stocks were transferred by Deed of Trust to the trustees of the
library consisting of: Benjamin W. Harris, Isaac N. Nutter, Benjamin W.
Keith, George M. Keith and Robert Orr Harris. Mr. Washburn stipulated
that the lot of land formerly occupied by St. Bridgets Church and the
previous Crombie Tavern, be used as the site of the new town library
upon his death. He later decided to have the library built in his
lifetime. In 1896, Waldo V. Howard of Brockton drew up the plans for
the structure. On Sept.22, 1897, the new brick building was
dedicated,and the previous library which was then located at the Masonic
Building had found a spacious new home.
Many remember the old saying, "You can't tell a book by its cover." This investigation by the M.A.P.S. team proved that statement to be true! We experienced many wonderful surprises once we entered the stately old Washburn Library. It was a foggy night and the energy was high as we met in the hallway of the East Bridgewater Library. The evening began as we welcomed our guests: International Psychic Medium,Dawn Carr, Library Director,Manny Leite,Town Historian,Margaret Alexander, her grand daughter, Abbie Haines and Library Trustees, Sandra Ockers and Susan Murray. With our equipment in hand, we emerged into a wonderful maze of books which were stacked neatly on shelves from floor to ceiling. Dawn immediately began revealing names and events from the past. Upon entering the Millett Room, she observed a woman in a white flowing gown floating in a figure eight pattern above our heads. She mentioned a nun who wanders up and down the staircase and also shared historic information about Francis Davis Millett,who passed on the Titanic.
As we continued throughout the dark hallways,we entered the attic area, and were able to set a motion detector in place and snap a few photos of the enormous attic. Many colorful orbs were found there and also in the Tower Room. The Mezzanine balcony served as a lookout point as we recorded EVPs,thermal temperatures and photographed the rooms below us. Each area seemed to have a real sense of history and purpose.
Dawn informed us of a woman whose name began with the letters....Ma. Earlier, a team member had sensed that a woman whose name was Marion had a connection to the building. She was delighted to find that at one time,a woman named Marion had a pair of boots on display at the library which mysteriously disappeared. Town Historian,Margaret Alexander revealed the story to us,just as a series of events began to unfold.